Saint Lorenzo

San Lorenzo
Saint Lorenzo

The beak of Saint Lorenzo with his 2.271 metres of altitude is the highest mountain of autonomous community of The Rioja and the second but high of the Iberian System after the Moncayo.

It forms part of the Saw of the Demand and exist two typical accesses to this beak: the first that rises from the population of Ezcaray and the second  that rises from the known municipality of Saint Millán of the Cogolla.

We decant us by this second option, since the first rises practicamente by the Tracks of ski of Valdzcaray.

The second option, ademas to rise to the beak but high of the Rioja, allows us visit Saint Millán of the Cogolla with his two emblmáticos monásterios: The Monastery of Yuso and the Monastery of Suso.

The Monastery of Saint Millán of Suso or Monastery of Suso («suso» means «up» in Spanish) forms part of the monumental group of two monasteries, with another built later and that situates further down, called Monastery of Saint Millán of Yuso, the two declared Heritage of the Mankind.

In the first times of the arrival of the Visigoths to the Peninsula, withdrew to this place separated and recóndito the anacoreta Aemilianus (Millán), son of a shepherd. Here it lived like ermitaño, received in a small cell, dying to the age of 101 years and being buried in a grave excavated in the rock.

The small monastery of Suso built around the rupestrian cell of the ermitaño. In a first stage (5th century and principles of the SAW) excavate caves taking advantage of oquedades of the terrain, which distribute in two levels allocated to rooms, and other two to oratorio, where at present situate the cenotafio of Saint Millán and the osario.

The Real Monastery of Saint Millán of Yuso (yuso meant «down» in Spanish ancient) was commanded to build in the year 1053 by the king navarro García Sánchez III of Navarra. The history of his foundation goes joined to a legend based in a miracle of saint Millán. The king García was very worshipper of Saint Millán. As it finished to found the big monastery of Santa María the Real of Nájera in this city that was Court of the realm, wanted to carry there the mortal remains of the Saint, that were buried in the monastery of Saint Millán of Suso. On 29 May 1053 they placed the rests of the Saint in a cart thrown by bueyes and like this undertook the trip, with big dissatisfaction of the monks that there remained desolados by the loss of his master. When they arrived to the flat, near of the river, the bueyes detained and no longer wanted to go back to walk; there was not form to force them. The king and all the comitiva comprised that that was a miracle, that Saint Millán was imposing his will of not happening of there and be buried again in those places. It was then when the king commanded to build the recent monastery, to the that called Yuso (down), in comparison with the one of up (Suso).

The importance of this enclave, mainly the monastery of Suso, is not only artistic and religious, but also linguistic and literary. Here, a monk wrote the Glosses Emilianenses, that were anotaciones aclaratorias in the margins of the pages written in Latin. Said anotaciones were written in romance or in a precastellano little evolved concerning the Latin. In this monastery appear to his time the first anotaciones written in Basque, by what has considered the cradle of said Hispanic romances and of the Basque. Here it inhabited likewise the monk and first poet of name known in Spanish, Gonzalo of Berceo.

June 2010
lugar
Place
Núm. de estapas
Days
Longitud
Length
Desnivel Positivo
Desnivel Desnivel Positivo
Desnivel Negativo
Desnivel Desnivel Negativo
Dificultad
Difficulty
Tipo de ruta
Type route
The Rioja 1 20 Km. 1220 m. 1220 m. Easy Recorrido de Ida y Vuelta
June 2010
lugar
Place
Núm. de estapas
Days
Longitud
Length
The Rioja 1 20 Km.
Desnivel Positivo
Desnivel Desnivel Positivo
Desnivel Negativo
Desnivel Desnivel Negativo
Dificultad
Difficulty
Tipo de ruta
Type route
1220 m. 1220 m. Easy Recorrido de Ida y Vuelta